Home | Parents | Need help?

Need help?

If you or your family need help, it's always a good idea to discuss your concerns first of all with your child's class tutor or the head or deputy head teachers at school.

It may be that you would rather not speak to the school and the following networks are available for you to contact for help and guidance.

Below, there is information on where to find help, advice and support on :

  • general support
  • personal distress
  • children's Sure Start centres
  • worries about housing and homelessness
  • bereavement
  • health issues
  • mental health issues
  • self harm
  • eating disorders
  • relationship issues
  • single parenting
  • drugs and alcohol issues


MindEd for Families

Launched in April 2016, MindEd for Families, is an interactive online resource offering evidence based advice and information for families in crisis, as well as advice and top tips on how parents can support themselves and their child through challenging circumstances.

The site is free to access and provides access to a wide range of online information and practical advice across areas such as:

Developed in partnership with YoungMinds and co-written with parents and carers, the resources are engaging, interactive and accessible on all mobile and tablet devices. MindEd for Families is accredited by the NHS Information Standard.



Family Lives works around the clock, transforming the lives of families, supporting parents and making happier relationships, happier families and a stronger society. Their experience enables them to help families with any problem or challenge that they face. Their trained family support workers, both paid and volunteer, offer all family members immediate and on-going help on the phone, online or in local communities. They use the knowledge gained through our work to inform, support and train professionals and campaign for changes to improve and support family life. 

tel:0808 800 2222

Childline deafzone
tel: 0800 11 11

Birmingham Signposting service
This service will help you to find the most relevant support.
tel: 0808 808 1001

Provide free help and support to people in distress
tel: 08457 909090
text: 07725 909090

Sure Start Children's Centres

Making life better for children, parents and communities.

What is a children’s centre?

Children’s centres offer the chance for families to have fun, play, learn and grow together. A whole host of activities are available, with everything from baby massage and cookery courses to music time and the chance for parents to meet and chat. 

Parents and carers can also access the information, support, help and advice they need to give their child the best start in life. 

Childrens centres offer a wide range of services including:

  • access to early learning and childcare and support for a childminder network

  • access to family support and parental outreach

  • access to child and family health services – ante-natal and post-natal services and child health services

  • links with Jobcentre Plus and careers advice

  • support for parents and children to access a range of other services

on-line search: Children's centres
tel: 0121 322 0910

Support for families and individuals at risk of homelessness
tel: 0808 800 4444
email: http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Cruse Bereavement Care is the leading national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and work to enhance society’s care of bereaved people.

Cruse offers face-to-face, telephone, email and website support. They have a Freephone national helpline and local services, and a website (hopeagain.org.uk) specifically for children and young people. Services are provided by a network of 5,000 trained volunteers and are confidential and free. Cruse also provides training and consultancy for external organisations and for those who may encounter bereaved people in the course of their work.

tel: 0800 8081677

email: info@cruse.org.uk

Edward's Trust provide a counselling service for families who are experiencing bereavement

Email Addressadmin@edwardstrust.co.uk

Tel: 0121 4541705

Mental Health difficulties
Forward Thinking Birmingham
Address: 1 Printing House Street, 3rd Floor, Birmingham, B4 6DF
Tel: 0300 300 0099
email:  ftb@bch.nhs.uk

Self harm
an internet site that supports families and individuals affected by self harm

Eating disorders
site and helpline supporting families and individuals affected by eating disorders
tel: 0845 6341414

Relationship issues

Nationwide service for people who are experiencing problems in their relationship, i.e. couple counselling, family counselling and individual counselling
tel: 03001001234

Single parents
Gingerbread is an organisation that supports single parents. It can offer advice and support
tel: 0808 802 0925

Lone-parenting.org.uk is an internet site supporting one parent families

Drug and alcohol support
Parents Against Drug Abuse

helpline: 08457 023867

 FRANK a Birmingham based group that supports children and families affected by drugs

tel 0800 776600


Alcoholics Annonymous